Friday, August 28, 2009

Desires vs. Dreams

Right now in my life, I'm fighting a battle. I'm fighting myself over what the rest of my life will be like, what I'll do and who'll I'll be. I am considering whether I should pursue my desires or my dreams.

So what is the difference between desires and dreams? I guess the only real difference is that a desire usually tends to be something you would like to happen in the short-term, while a dream is something you would like to happen in the long-term. For instance, you may desire say a candy bar, but you may dream of becoming a pilot. Basically I consider desires to be more of a sensual nature while dreams seem to be more practical. But that doesn't necessarily mean that either is likely, I mean we all have dreamed of growing up and becoming astronauts or firefighters.

But does that mean that either one would make the outcome of your life any better than the other? I guess I'm getting in a real "The Road Not Taken" mode here, but seriously, if the desires are what make you happy then shouldn't you follow them? On the other hand, you wouldn't dream about something if you didn't want that to happen as well.

The real problem is that they are both things that we want to happen, but they are rarely things that can both happen. For instance you can't be a space firefighter because there is no oxygen in space to fuel fires, therefore no need for firefighters. As far as the desires vs. dreams thing goes, eating a candy bar won't keep you from being President, but going to far with somebody or getting involved with some people potentially could ruin your dreams. Its the whole have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too scenario where you want something now, but you also want something later.

This is where I am, on so many levels. Women, for instance; men want to be with women (desire) but we also want to have meaningful relationships (dream). So my options basically are meaningless relationship with well, a whore, or meaningful relationship with a friend. The chances of a middle ground here are quite literally astronomical. Likewise, I may want to become a rockstar or a senator, but I can't expect to live the life of a rockstar and be viewed as a respectable member of society that can be trusted with the laws that govern us.

Ok, so we understand the differences and the problem. So what can be done about it? We are going to do what makes us happy just because otherwise there is no reason to live. But are we going to have our cake, or eat it? In writing this I'm reminded of the story of Icarus. He couldn't practice the moderation needed to fly a safe route, consequently he flew too high towards the sun, fell into the sea, and died. Here, in the battle, I feel that moderation is also the key. Enough desires to keep us happy now, but not enough to destroy our dreams. Hopefully I can find the balance, but for now I’m stuck at the battlelines.

2 comments:

  1. back by popular demand (aka ms matthews liked it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow---thats deep but really good. Best one yet. lol.

    ReplyDelete