Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Same Sex Marriage?

OK so my solution is pretty radical, but I think that it could work.

Before I get on the subject of where I stand on the subject I'll mention two points that I believe to be true.
1. Marriage is an institution of the church
2. When any citizen is being considered for any government stipulation age, race, and gender should not be considered.

So here is where I stand based on these two points:
Since marriage is an institution of the church, and their is a separation between the church and state, the government should not issue marriage licences. The government involves itself in a matter of the church and this goes against much of the views and policies that our nation was founded on and has been ruled by. But there is a problem here, states can't just stop issuing marriage licences. There are many factors that depend on the state recognizing a union. So I propose that all state recognized unions be "civil unions" rather than "marriages." In truth I am simply saying that we should change the name.
Don't think it would work? Well consider this, the government should not consider age, race, and/or gender when a citizen is applying for something. Therefore if two citizens apply for a marriage licence, the government should not take into account age(assuming both citizens are adults), race, or gender. So while if a heterosexual couple comes in to get a marriage licence the government should say, "citizen 1 wants to marry citizen 2, OK." Likewise if a homosexual couple comes in the government should again say, "citizen 1wants to marry citizen 2, OK." I don't believe that anyone really has a problem with this. The problem is that many people feel that homosexuals getting MARRIAGE licences destroys the institution of marriage; I agree.
But whats the problem with having state recognized unions between two citizens? I don't see one, as long as it's not connected to the church. So if marriage is removed from the government it can still be between a man and a woman while any two citizens can be protected from discrimination.

I bet you are thinking that this is a menial change that won't do any good. Well maybe, but the thing is that I believe that the government shouldn't be involved in this sort of a problem. Is homosexuality immoral, or just socially unaccepted? That shouldn't be the government's decision, it should be society's. Society doesn't have to play by the rules government does.

Proposition:
Remove marriage from government; never take age (if an adult), race, or gender into account when government is concerned; and let society make the decision on homosexuality.

By the way I am anti-homosexuality but pro-separation of church and state and anti-discrimination, but I see this as the only solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment