Saturday, January 30, 2010

Even a book is no judge, part 4

I had become used to this new owner's interest in me. He sat all day and read. He even missed meals just to discover more. But at last he had finally reached the last page, the last paragraph, the last sentence, and the last word. When he reached the last period he paused for a moment and carefully closed my cover. The air stood still as I awaited his next action. At this point I was used to being passed on or even tossed out and I was sure that this man would do no different. He ran his finger along my golden title once again and then he stood up and walked towards a trash can. He stopped at the can and looked down at me. I dared to look down in the filth that awaited me. I was shocked when I heard the crash of the wine bottle that had been in his pocket fall into the trash can. He then placed me in his pocket again and walked away from the trash can. That week he was hired and started saving money. He soon got an appartment. He carried me everyday to work in his pocket until one day he bought a book self. He placed me on the shelf. I was the only book on the shelf for a while. Eventually others came, but none received the attention that I had. Finally I had a owner who not only appreciated me but cherished me as well. Where I had amazed others I had impacted this man. In some ways being given away and then thrown away was the best things that ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment